market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hornworms...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom at Limerock" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hornworms...
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:30:06 -0400

> Tom,
>
> I need help with this one. I did read this right as you wrote you out
> it in the freezer and will have a good meal soon? Please explain this
> to me!!! Are these actual worms that you eat?!?
>
> Courtney
> Herb Thyme

Courtney --
No, I have not yet eaten them but would consider it if their consumption
would stop them from eating our plants. A year or so it was discussed and I
thought two recipes were sent in, one in script and the other referred to a
website. I could only locate the script message and the credit goes to
Marie Kamphefner for sharing the recipe with our group.
Bon appetite.

Tom Anslow
Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market

>From Marie:
Fried Green Tomato Hornworms
Yield: 4 servings

What does a tomato hornworm taste like? Well, what would you taste like
if you'd been stuffing yourself solely with tomato leaves for the better
part of a month? Hornworms are ridiculously chlorophyll-rich. They taste
great with just about any summer vegetable, but my favorite recipe draws
inspiration from the cuisine of the Whistle Stop Cafe, that fictitious
Alabama diner made famous by novelist Fanny Flagg.

"You'll think you died and gone to heaven," boasts Flagg of her recipe.
To which I add, "If you do go to heaven, ask the Powers That Be to keep
the tomato hornworms out of my vegetable patch."

3 tablespoons olive oil
16 tomato hornworms
4 medium green tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
Salt and pepper to taste
White cornmeal
In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil. Then lightly fry the hornworms,
about 4 minutes, taking care not to rupture the cuticles of each insect
under high heat. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Season tomato rounds with salt and pepper, then coat with cornmeal on
both sides.

In a large skillet, fry tomatoes until lightly browned on both sides

Top each round with 2 fried tomato hornworms.

Garnish the paired hornworms with a single basil leaf.