market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Perennials

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Perennials
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:34:54 -0400

A lesson I learned the hard way. Always sell plants that are adapted to your
sales area. A few years ago I had developed a good market for osteospermum, it
grows nicely in a cool greenhouse along with pansy and primula, blooms well in
April and May, an easy money maker people buy it on impluse. The plants can't
take the 90-100 degree heat and 90% humidity we have in NJ, so when the
customer gets the plant home it does not bloom and gets ratty looking. They
think its perennial and it probably is in the south but not in NJ.
Del ...You should get a copy of the Ball Perennial Manual by Jim Nau, it gives
the most complete discription of every perennial plant and how it performs in
the Chicago area garden environment...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.