market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Vinegars and rabbit innards

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mayapple Farm and Gardens <mayapplefarm AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Vinegars and rabbit innards
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:25:03 -0700 (PDT)

Those of you who are doing vinegars, are you required
to prep these in a certified kitchen? Our market
requires that even simple things like drying herbs and
bagging salad mixes be conducted in certified
kitchens. I haven't actually checked with our local
health department to verify this since I'm not at that
level, but I was just curious about the rest of the
country/world.

Another vinegar note: Those that need to filter large
volumes quickly might want to investigate milk
filters. I don't know the specs on these, e.g. what
size particles they remove, etc., but they will move a
gallon of goat milk in under five minutes.

Last time I checked, heartworms were caused in dogs by
the bite of mosquitos, not by eating rabbit innards.
The disease you might be thinking is called tuleremia
(sp?), but using good hygiene, you can still eat
summer-killed rabbits.

We're in the middle of a good downpour right now. It
had been over two weeks without rain and I was
starting to feel like I was in a drought already,
after all that spring rain. I was tilling for a
planting of beans yesterday, and I was bouncing off
the hard soil like it really was the middle of a
drought.

Kevin

=====
Krystyna L. Prochocki