market-farming - [Market-farming] Different Ideas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liannan88 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Different Ideas
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:38:21 EDT

<<Ohhh I hope not -- my husband is the only one on my team, and he definitely has different ideas.>>
<<but than we realize it is just the pressure of too long
days, too much heat, too much rain, too many weeds, not enough time,
etc.>>

LOL!  Yes, my husband enjoys the harvest part, after I've done all the other work!  But with family, you can work through the rough spots (usually).  I only meant that caution should be taken when entering into a business enterprise with someone that may seem very gung-ho over dollar signs, but has never done an ounce of manual labor in their lives.  And even that can work sometimes, but I'd be REAL careful about it!  Especially with someone you don't know very well.

By the way, does anyone in the Southern States (FL, TX, AL, GA, LA, OK, etc.) have any luck growing cooler weather crops during the summer months, perhaps with partial or full shade.  I'm experimenting with some things, but so far, my leaf lettuce is so bitter it's not even edible, & the carrots & onion seeds bomb out every time.  Also, what about other greens in our clime.  Johnny's is absolutely wonderful, but when the catalog recommends a variety that "tolerates heat" or is "slow-bolting", can it handle 110 degree days?  I use Willhite's for most of my Southern crops, but it would be really great to be able to grow something besides melons, black-eyed peas & okra in August!

Maridian Carlton
Clementine's
Bridgeport, TX