market-farming - [Market-farming] Small market garden/Benjamin

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Small market garden/Benjamin
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 07:16:17 -0400

My first question would be is any of your yard still lawn? If so could you
till some of it up to expand your garden. There is a house in my town that
I have driven by (I'd love to stop for a tour). It has a very small front
yard (south side I believe). The entire yard is plants. It appears to be a
mix of vegetables and flowers its beautiful. I think their back yard is
shade and you can't see it from the street.

If not continue as you are. How shady is your shaded area? If it gets some
sun I guess you could try lettuce and some herbs (not all you'd have to do a
bit of research for shade tolerance). My guess is chives might grow in
partially shade.

Start attending local farmers markets as a customer and scope it out. Note
prices, displays etc. Note how much they have on their tables. "All the
books" say your table must appear full (doesn't mean your table can't be a
bit small).

I have a CSA see www.csacenter.org for definition. Maybe you could grow
enough for a few members.

What zone are you in? You are Ca do you have a long growing season?

Good luck Beth in wet Massachusetts