market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: tobacco and tillers vs. hoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mayapple Farm and Gardens <mayapplefarm AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: tobacco and tillers vs. hoes
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 09:56:01 -0700 (PDT)

I do digest mode, so forgive me for combining posts.

Tobacco:
I'm not really sure what it is that's so harmful about
tobacco, other than the combination of nicotine,
pesticides, other things that are added during
manufacture, and the quantity that most people end up
using (I suspect the latter). Smoking tobacco is made
from several varieties and is aged quite some time to
allow it to mellow. This part of the state, we grow
white burley, which I think is mainly used for
smokeless and chewing products. I'll keep on the
lookout for some information for you, though. I'm
sure there's some good stuff on the Web.

Hoes vs. tiller:
I vote for the hoe, but when you buy a hoe, you also
need to buy a good file, no matter what kind of hoe
you get. If you are small in stature or not very
strong, one of the smaller, pointed kinds might be
more suitable for you. Ideally, you want to just stir
the soil before things get too big, using the edge of
the blade to just slice weeds off right below the
surface. If you're like me, reality is that things
get way ahead of you and you end up treating it like a
machete, which is also okay, but you'll need to apply
the file more often. A hoe is more of a cutting tool
than a digging tool. I've never used a Mantis, but
it's way overkill for just weeding, in my opinion.
And like any new physical activity, you have to
develop some muscles and calluses and pace yourself.
It's getting on in the day, past lunch here, so having
a nice beverage of your choice would be a good way to
approach the hoe for the rest of the day.

=====
Krystyna L. Prochocki
Kevin L. Strohmeier
May Apple Farm and Gardens