market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: tobacco and tillers vs. hoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Franklin W. Davis" <Parsons2 AT attbi.com>
  • To: <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: tobacco and tillers vs. hoes
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:39:27 -0400

Hi Bob...I don't know what advantage the older pointy hoe..triangular..has
over the newer ones..:-) I found my pointy hoe pulls in whatever direction
it's used...if it's used on one side or the other. The point does get in
between plants nice though..then again the point pulls the hoe too deep if
you use it between plants... and your not on yer toes..:-) On the more
pricey name brand tools I think the steel is better now then ever. I have
found that if yer a tall dude the average hoe handle is too short...makin'
you bend over alittle to work it...thus a sore back in short order. Have
used some shag bark hickory off my place to make a handle or two...got some
give to it...and is tough as nails..:-) The old time loggers here in Maine
made their own axe handles...thin and with lots of whip...could really cut
some big chips..:-) Franklin