market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] dead, yellow spinach & Gibberellic acid

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: xxchef AT wmonline.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] dead, yellow spinach & Gibberellic acid
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:08:17 -0400

David, Spinach is a cool season crop, alot is grown in my county for frozen
food companies so I
get to see alot of spinach. When the temps get over 80 degrees for a week or
so all the crop
turns yellow no matter how good the soil is, everyone just plows it under and
plants a different
crop. Ph is very important but high Ph is less of a factor. Spinach suffers
aluminum toxicity
when the Ph goes below 6, so you don't want to be too successful at lowering
Ph.
Gibberellic acid is a natural plant growth regulator, it makes plants grow
taller and more
upright, farmers around here apply 1/4 ounce per acre of it before each
harvest to perkup the
crop and improve cutting yield and quality...Bob.