market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Cloddy soil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "askpv" <askpv AT ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Cloddy soil
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 21:18:01 +1000

Hello Marc from April in sub-tropical Australia,
Sweet potato/e is companiable to plants that need deep mulch such as
raspberries
i grow it successfully with self- supporting tomatoes too, but don't expect
the tomatoes to self seed where the
sweet potatoe is deeply established.
it grows to about 15cm high and has only once posed a problem in that a tree
died off possibly from too much 'mulch'.
we have a fungus here that can cause trees to rot.
i would suggest that sweet potato is an excellent cover for perennial
species such as vines and trees
but it is easy to move and lift out of an area, so it would also be good for
soil rejuvenation and rest period because it protects the soil from erosion,
encourages worms and is a biological tiller (loosening the soil).
it does die off in cold areas over winter, ours comes back again in spring
because it is in a good micro-climate away from frost.
the leaves and tubers are edible as i mentioned earlier. but i grow it
mostly as companion to orchard species and to prevent weeds.
METHOD: take a tuber from the grocer and let it sit in the kitchen until it
sprouts then put it in mulch or compost.
once you have some growing, cut off rooted runners and plant.
apparently you need independent runners to get a good set of tubers, so the
easy answer here would be to go along with a spade and simply cut the
runners at regular intervals, leaving them in situ. transplant if you think
they each need more space.

April
Permaculture Visions International.

*
Portal http://www.ozemail.com/~askpv/linx.htm
*
Students and graduates in over 20 countries
(Africa, Argentina, Australia - every state, Brazil, Canada-BC,ON,
France,
Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Israel, Jerusalem, Japan, NZ, Malaysia, Mexico,
Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Republic of South Africa, Portugal, Spain,
Thailand, Tonga, UK,
USA. -Alaska, CA, FL, KS, IA, IL, IN, TN, MT, NM, OR, PA, SD, TX,VT,
WA,WI,)
*
Exclusive Student and Graduate Mailing list
*
Commercial and Private Permaculture System Design
*
ISO 14000
< http://www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv/>
< mailto:askpv AT ozemail.com.au>