market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] weeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KTCopsey AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] weeds
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:01:22 EDT

In a message dated 6/6/03 7:26:30 AM US Eastern Standard Time, dotcielo AT verizon.net writes:

I am writing to ask about using the black fabric shield which people use to control weeds.  Have any of you used this?  Is it conducive to a healthy garden production?  Should it be covered with a mulch such as grass clippings?

Dorothy
I have tried the fabric with seedlings and it works very well.  However it is impracticle for seed beds.  I usually use the fabric for tomatoes and basil typre annuals and remove  the fabric at the end of the season.  It has the advantiage of heating the soil in the early spring to give alittle added comfort to the woarm weather plants.  If you get a good quality fabric it can be used for more than one yr (I think).  Consideration for transfer of virus type things might be a concern though - don't know.
Hope tis helps alittle
Katy

Living just one cornfield away from civilization