market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] weeds mulch and disease

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] weeds mulch and disease
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 10:53:45 -0400

Joe Kames wrote:

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 9:01 AM
Subject: Re: [Market-farming] weeds

In Cumberland cty NJ we pioneered plastic mulches with drip in the 1960's and I have never heard of plastic mulch increasing the threat of blight. In the case of late blight the mulch has made growing in diseased soils easier, less fruit rot in tomatoes and squash that sit on the ground. Early Blight is foliar and spreads in the wind. One possible problem with plastic is when soft stems rub against the plastic at the soil level around the hole sometimes an infection will enter the stem and rot of the seedling...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

I was warned by our ag. agent that black fabric will harbor and incubate early blight, which is endemic in our area. He further advised to avoid organic mulches on tomatoes when blight is present. Black plastic was recommened. No weeds, warms soil.