market-farming - [Market-farming] blossom end rot

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] blossom end rot
  • Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 14:06:46 -0400

Hi, Folks!

I agree that BER can be a variety-specific problem - one of the reasons it's best to "grow-out" an heirloom tomato or talk to a nutty seed saver before planting out. Around here, the PA Dutch heirlooms tend not to have it, but with all the tomatoes I've grown out for SSE, I've found that some varieties get it and never lose it when grown in SE PA! :-(

Considering that there are enough tomato varieties to choose from, no one should have to spend time spraying their tomatoes with anything. . .find a different variety and spend your time doing something else! ;-)

>I've never had it except for San Marzano plum tomotoes!

My San Marzanos did fine, but they were awfully small, so I recommend Amish Paste (large! tasty!) or Principe Borghese if you want small. I think the only paste I'm doing this year is White Star, which is a "white" (really yellow -- why do they call these tomatoes "white"?), but I'll have to look at my list -- I just grow what I'm told! ;-D

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of