market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New guy Introduction (+ weed question)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Errol Castens" <castens AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New guy Introduction (+ weed question)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 01:40:15 -0500

Burdock is a spring weed with lots of little seeds. Cocklebur has much
larger seeds that could have been the inspiration behind Velcro. A few
enterprising souls, lacking any other use for them, have packaged and sold
them to tourists as "porcupine eggs." Back when the main remedy for
cocklebur was a hoe, the saying was you could grind cockleburs fine, feed
the powder to hogs, burn the resulting manure, put the ashes in the freezer
for seven years, then sprinkle them onto bare concrete and still get a
stand of the vicious weeds.

I don't believe such nonsense, of course -- that only happens in real life
with kudzu!

Errol Castens
Oxford, Mississippi
Zone 7A