market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New guy Introduction (+ weed question)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jim Woodyard <mwjw AT swbell.net>
  • To: cyndi AT tikvah.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New guy Introduction (+ weed question)
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:15:43 -0500

>Knowing that the weeds that grow in a given area help explain imbalances in
>soil,
does anyone know of a good source (web site would be ideal) that talks about
what
weeds grow in what conditions? <

Cyndi, Just my 2 cents worth but aside from broom sage definetely liking
acid soil
it has been my experience here in north central TX that the weeds will vary
with
the growing conditions. It seems that every year it is something different
which
leads me to think the seed bank is there and depending on moisture and
temperature
what ever fits the conditions best determines what takes over.

We have been trying for the past 5 years to do things as organic as possible
but
could do a lot more to build microorganisms in the soil. I was reading with
interest the comments concerning fleas, ticks and fire ants. The other day
on a
radio talk show Howard Garrett (dirt Dr. Howard) stated that the up side of
fire
ants was no ticks and fleas. I can assure you that here we have all 3 living
in
harmony. Also, if guineas keep ticks down I would hate to think what it
would be
without my 35 guineas. (34 now since a car got one the other day)

Jim Woodyard
Nocona, TX