market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tomato seedlings

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steve Sando" <steve AT mrlucky.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tomato seedlings
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 07:49:07 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
\
> Regards to the list:
>
> Hello. We're growing our own plants on a larger scale this year for the
> first time. I have about 500 little tomato plants up in the hoop house
and
> the underneath of every plant and the stems looks purple. What's the
> matter with them or is this normal? I fed them organic fish emulsion, 1
> tablespoon to 1 gallon of water. I am searching for a book for
information
> but haven't found what I need yet. Thanks.

I'm not sure how big yours are, but I don't add any fertilizer until they
are quite big, maybe 2nd set of true leaves. They seed they came in is
pretty jam-packed with nutrients. Once I do feed them, it's a very diluted
fush emulsion. Almost nothing. Mine are thriving.

For a potting medium I am using peat(3)/perlite(2)/mushroom compost(1),

Steve
www.ranchogordo.com