market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Speaking Spanish

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Speaking Spanish
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:59:54 -0600

Nonverbals go a long way toward showing whether you like or don't like what
someone has done.

Showing people works better in many ways than telling them. Language is
full of ambiguities. Good supervisors never depend on simple written or
spoken communication. They show people by doing and working along side
their workers long enough to see that you are all on the same page.

Do you understand (Entienda?) is a terrible question. People will answer it
Yes (Si) or No (No) and that gives you no real idea if they actually do
understand.

Of course you might get an honest person who replies, No entiendo nadie ( I
don't understand any of it.) Bummer.

With workers who speak any language, you must demonstrate what you want and
then observe them doing it to see if understanding has occured.

Here's a few phrases any supervisor should use regularly.

Muchas gracias.

Por favor

Ayudame, por favor.

Oh, and numbers in Spanish look like they do in English in writing...

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,... lol

uno dos tres quatro cinco seis

carry a writing pad around with you... to draw out things when you don't
have the words.

Hmmm, what was the word that stumped my Ex? .... oh hose! He could never
remember the Spanish word for hose. Come to think of it, I can't either.