market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Spanish Speaking Workers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Spanish Speaking Workers
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:07:13 -0600

Emily,
There are many Hispanic folk working on the dairy farms around here -
they have a reputation as very hard workers. One very large dairy farm that
I know has several, and the owner/operator took Spanish lessons. Although I
would think for best communication that you would search out a bilingual
person who could tell you specific phrases that would be helpful in working
on a farm - things that might well not come up in a Spanish class.
At the same time, you might find if there is a literacy council nearby,
so that your employees could learn English, which would also facilitate
communication with you, as well as empowering them in our society. We have
one in Green Bay that has volunteers that teach folks English. I hope to
have the time to be a volunteer one day. There is a waiting list, however,
for those wanting to learn English. Do you have such a literacy
organization where you are?

Jill