market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] web pages

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] web pages
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 12:04:25 -0800 (PST)

Caryl Elzinga wrote:

>The bottom-line question is where do we invest our limited advertising $$
>and time? Do we do more demos rather than upgrade the website? Do we
>design a slicker web site or brochure? How do we reach customers that don't
>frequent the farmers market or the natural foods grocery that we sell in

Don't feel bad Caryl, this is the number one question
for any business, not just for farmers with limited ad
resources.

Unfortunately, there is no single right answer.

The only effective way to reach new customers
that you don't physically encounter is to advertise
with paid or illegal advertising. I don't recommend
plastering up handbills around the towns you serve.

The flip side to this is asking where you start.

If you get 50 unique visitors to your web site per
day, that is a healthy amount. It is not uncommon
for selling focused web sites to convert 50% of
the search referred traffic they get into purchasers.

Can you handle 25 new customers a day?
Would you like to try?

For now, spend your time or money fixing up your
web site. If you can convert 20% of those visitors,
that is seventy new customers per week >>>>
or 3,500 new customers per year...

Need I say more?

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming