market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Potting up was seed starting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Potting up was seed starting
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:28:48 -0500

I usually work with several interns, so transplanting isn't a time issue. We grew some beautiful starts last season, seeding enmasse in flats and then pricking up to 2inch pots or speedlings. (I find it a lot easier to use a heat mat if you are germing in a flat because the soil is all but right on the mat.)

It seems, even with interns, there is something else they could be doing with their time, and then the cost of soil and pots. Is the advantage of multiple potting (and no one is denying, I don't think, that it would produce better seedlings if there is no root trauma in the process) worth the extra time and cost. for me it isn't.
--