market-farming - [Market-farming] Potting up was seed starting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Potting up was seed starting
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:08:46 -0500

if you transplant them into cells the day after the seed germinates they
will out grow a non transplanted crop and mature five days sooner...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

A number of natura farming teachers, Alan Chadwick and John Jeavons, for example, advocate(d) multiple potting up. They say this promotes root system growth when the plant is actually transplanted to the soil.

I hear a lot of contradictory information on WHEN to pot up. Of course, you want to do it BEFORE the roots hit the side of the container, if possible, but, if I remember correctly, Jeavons advocates transplanting when the first pair of true leaves appears. This can take some time, of course. I also hear growers say that they transplant 'as soon as they see germination'

I'm wondering what other's experience has been.

I usually work with several interns, so transplanting isn't a time issue. We grew some beautiful starts last season, seeding enmasse in flats and then pricking up to 2inch pots or speedlings. (I find it a lot easier to use a heat mat if you are germing in a flat because the soil is all but right on the mat.)

On the other hand, Leigh gave me some of his 'extra' direct seeded flats and they took off like gangbusters in the soil, also.

Looking for your experiences, recommendations.