market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Seed Starting Media

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Johnston" <rjohnston AT johnnyseeds.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Seed Starting Media
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:59:50 -0500

> This year I am going back to soil blocks. I was happy with them, and am
> really tired of all the pricking out when starting seeds on media. The
> only thing with soil blocks is keeping an eye on the moisture content.
> As a "pro-am" I agree with Eliot Coleman about the soil blocks. The
> down side is that you have to mix your own blocking mix.(easily
> available info on web or in Eliot's "The New... Grower" book.

Johnny's 512 Mix makes nice soil blocks <g>.

Rob Johnston
Johnny's Selected Seeds
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:08:59 -0500
To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
Subject: [Market-farming] Rob J - Thanks for reminding me!!

Anyone know a source of 'bunching leek' seed? Johnny's is currently
sold out. -Allan
From: "Miranda Smith" <miranda AT tagoresmith.com>
To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:37:15 -0500
Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Keeping Soil Blocks Moist

I cover the bottom of a 10x20 flat with a piece of plastic (generally
a piece I've cut from a bag) and make 2-inch soil blocks on top of the
plastic. You can reuse the plastic many, many times. If you have any
disease, it's as easy to dip a sheet of plastic into a disinfectent as
it is to wash a flat.

When using mini's, I make them on the foam trays that grocery stores
use for meat. I water the mini's by hand--put some water in the bottom
of the tray and let them absorb it. For the 2-inch blocks, I use the
best watering nozzle ever--the Wonder Waterer (available from Johnny's
among other places). The spray is gentle enough so you can top-water
the blocks without any damage to block or seedling.

Given a choice--that is, when I have the bench space--I'll go for soil
blocks every time. I am convinced that they give you the best quality
and once you have the manual parts of the operation down, they don't
take any more time than any other system. Space is another question,
of course. A flat holds only 50 2-inch blocks; if you're doing
lettuce, you can use 72's and gain 12 plants per/flat-space.

Miranda Smith