market-farming - [Market-farming] Greenland

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Greenland
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:59:18 -0500

Just flew back from a short vacation in Switzerland (actually no vacation at all, Wenonah had meetings all weekend and the one day we had for taking a train up into the mountain I had a major toothache and had to see a non English speaking dentist who found someone down the hall who spoke some English to translate)

But the really interesting part of the trip (besides the fact that the Swiss actually do eat fondue - I thought that was only a last 60's fad) was the flight home which went further north than usual over the southern tip of Greenland. All ice, jagged ice mountains and huge glaciers and not a thing growing. No trees, no signs of any life, human or otherwise. The map said there were a couple towns several hundred miles up each coast but it is almost unimaginable that someone could actually live in that climate. I wonder if the landscape is much more hospitable in the summer. Do they have any sort of a growing season?

We got home and there was still a foot and half of snow on the ground. The weight of the snow had ripped a hole in the greenhouse plastic and the driveway gravel, in several places, has disappeared into the earth.