market-farming - [Market-farming] March 22 Virginia seed workshop info

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] March 22 Virginia seed workshop info
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:14:22 -0500

Dear Friends,
I'm forwarding this information about a Seed Saving
Workshop, which some of you in this area may be
interested in participating in:

Thank you for all your responses to our inquiry about
a possible Fall
seed saving workshop. It looks like there's a lot of
support for such
an event. But a lot of you want to do something
sooner, so we are
organizing a shorter workshop for next month.

Please let us know soon if you can participate, and
what you want to
learn about.

Workshop Date Saturday, March 22, 2003
Location Acorn Community Farm,
Mineral VA
Workshop Leader Jeff McCormack, PhD
Botany, specializing in
pollination ecology; Director of Garden Medicinals,
Founder of Southern Exposure
Seed Exchange
Cost $45. Includes handouts, lunch,
snacks. (If
enough people register, some partial scholarships
may be
available.)

This one-day workshop will cover basics of growing
and saving
high-quality seeds. Topics will include isolation
distances,
population sizes, introduction to collecting and
processing. We will
also touch on integrating small-scale commercial
seed saving and
marketing gardening. The day will end with an open
question-and-answer
period.

We want this workshop to focus on the questions and
issues of the
participants. PLEASE SEND US YOUR
QUESTIONS, or tell us the topics you
want to hear about. Jeff will start creating handouts
and resource
lists soon, so please respond as soon as possible.

Help us publicize! Please pass this e-mail on, and/or
give us names
of others you think might be interested. Also, tell us if
you want to
be taken off this list.

Thanks!

Ira Wallace and Pam Dawling