market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Green Beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Green Beans
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:40:15 -0500

Here in Central Virginia we like Contender and
Provider for cranking out lots of tasty beans
reliably and early, Bush Blue Lake for our main
crops (very reliable), Jade for warmer weather
superior taste (but don't try them till it warms up
properly), and Romano for a change of taste
later in the summer. I don't like the look of the
Romanos - flat and bumpy - but the nutty taste
is a refreshing change, and they're not tough as
they look like they might be.
Ones we've tried and given up on - the
Golden Wax kind - color is nice, but flavour
unexciting; Royal Burgandy (good and early, a
different colour, but not as tasty as Provider and
Contender); Dragon Langerie (got tough easily).
Mexican Bean Beetles are an issue for us,
so we plant 180' every two weeks, dotted back
and forth across our garden, and pull up the old
ones when the leaves become like filigree lace.
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, Virginia