market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] March 22 Virginia seed workshop info

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "gwynn and robert" <hamster AT northnet.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] March 22 Virginia seed workshop info
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 19:52:51 -0500

hi there,

we can't make it to the spring workshop, but would be interensted in a fall
get-together. keep us informed, thanks

Bert & Gwynn
---------------------
Hamster Manor
717 Congress Street
Ogdensburg, NY 13669
Hamster AT northnet.org

----------

Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 22:35:49 -0500
To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
Subject: [Market-farming] records

some record keeping questions. How do you keep records of your customers?

I'm particularly interested in you CSA people. What sort of record
keeping do you do and how do you do it?

I keep our records of subscribers in Filemaker (since we use a mac).
using a modified template. This works well because I have every
subscriber since year one in the same file and I can pull up past
subscribing history, and when someone drops out for a year and
rejoins there is no new data entry requirements.

Now, a lot of our business is conducted over the internet. Actually,
these days I discourage people who do not have internet access from
subscribing. I send out a weekly newsletter, send out bills, notice
fo which vegetables are ripe, and keep addressbooks of who gets their
veggies at which pick up site.

Here's the question on this. Up until this time I have been using
Eudora 4.3 which is an upgrade of the original version we bought
years ago. But this next week I am getting a new mac and 4.3 can't
just be transferred, meaning we have to buy a new software program.
What do you use? What works best when you juggle half a dozen
(actually many more) addressbooks? Anyone use mailsmith?

What I would really like is a database program that interfaced with
an e-mail program. Meaning I wouldn't have to switch back and forth
between the two programs and I wouldn't have to keep separate records
in each program.

I know this question is a little far afield from growing vegetables
( over two feet of snow fell today and its hard to think that the
last frost is coming soon) but it seems to me that the
administration aspect of farming is just as important as the actually
farming part.