market-farming - [Market-farming] Advertising issues

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Marketfarming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Advertising issues
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:46:05 -0600

Everything we have heard in the past for those of us who direct market farm
products was to never consider any newspaper ads. I was talking with my
haircutting lady recently and she has done a fair amount of local
advertising in the rural newspapers here, but she told me that she did not
feel that she could possibly get enough customers to pay for the costs.

Judy and I just prepared and shipped our handout for the producer panel
discussion and took a look at what marketing tools we have used:

Brochure
Farmer's Market
Farm Roadsign
Word of mouth
Web site developed for legitimacy of business, primarily for existing and
previously contacted potential customers info
Business card sized ad in local food coop newsletter
Selective mailings for specials
Business cards

On another part of our handout, but closely related, is sponsoring farm
cookouts with local organizations.

The ad in the food coop is too new to tell if effective since we will likely
run it for many months. The circulation is around 500+ and as you can guess
tends to target the local folks who are very health oriented. Even though we
do have a sizeable number of vegans/vegetarians, many do eat some meat and
want something they feel comfortable with.

We seem to get the most mileage from the brochures, but every little bit
helps.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams