market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] advertising--question for Jay

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] advertising--question for Jay
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:03:15 -0600

Del Williams wrote:
> You want your farm to be successful. So do I. We have a sort of Venn
> Diagram of our intentions.
>
> It includes certain goals, values, attitudes. And tastes.

We did not go so far as a Venn, but we knew decades ago that we were
eventually going to move back to the country and at the very least have an
extensive garden. We did not plan on quite this large of a farm though:) But
we got lucky.

> I do disagree on this idea about loving what you do and to hell
> with profit.
> I have little choice. I can't simply do it because I love it and
> I do. I
> have to be solvent.

No matter how many times I discuss this, you still do not understand my
point. Which is that you simply MUST, love farming first in order to be
involved in it. It simply can not be the money as the first desire. While it
is true that some people I know, net well over $100,000 a year milking cows,
that is combined family income. But for everyone with the really good
incomes, there are 10 or more who are either barely making it or who are
even running in the hole and subsidizing their farm.

> Profit itself is not a nasty word. It gives you and me the way
> to do what
> we believe works in a good way for our views of how the world
> ought to turn.
> I do not think that we are so far apart on that.

I have pointed out on other lists that in order to have sustainable
agriculture, the first thing you have to have is an adequate return on your
operation. That is a given. Otherwise how can you sustain yourself for very
long? But that comes after the strong desire and interest that first brings
you to farming.

Bringing in outside money is not sustainable agriculture. The problem is
that there are many who will operate their farm below COP. It is just the
way it is and in some parts of agriculture, particularly ranching, and it
has been this way a long time.

> Find a way to send me some of those steaks. I'll be your
> customer because I
> bet they are tasty and good for me. And I don't know a simple soul in my
> community who can sell me a lamb with your claims for good meat. I find
> myself liking to support 4-H. I have learned to love lamb. And I am so
> glad a perpetual caller gave me that opportunity.

I can not legally ship and sell it to you since you are out of state. We
would be more than happy to sell you some if you happen to be vacationing
here in the driftless area. Who knows, you may want an inexpensive vacation
someday, and this area has it for now.

> For my life, and yours. Be profitable. I'd like to see you succeed.

There should be grass-fed producers in your area. This way you can get local
food. It seems to me that shipping food makes your local food become much
closer to conventional food. Just like so much of the so called "organic"
food that is highly processed and shipped from thousands of miles away. It
is often just as low in nutrition as conventional junk food.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce