market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] advertising--question for Jay

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] advertising--question for Jay
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:14:09 -0600

Jay Gee wrote:
> Web sites, like advertising, vary from client to client
> and business/farm to business/farm.

Not only that, it has just been learned that the Pope is Catholic!

> Because a web site is a visual AND interactive
> experience, it has to behave differently from a
> brochure or flyer. People experience them differently.

Maybe, maybe not. With my off farm job, part of it involves ... marketing
our agency, but primarily as a team member. We did adapt our brochure from
some things on our web site to carry a theme, but because we have such a
diverse organization, it was not possible to duplicate the web site, so that
seems a reasonable comment.

> There are too many things involved to describe
> for the list and some/many may not apply to your
> operation. Again, it depends on what you are
> attempting to get a web site to do for your enterprise.

Translation: I don't know:)

> Like an advertisement or advertising campaign, a
> web site should be designed to accomplish specific
> things to further your business. You have to decide
> what those goals are first. The rest then takes shape.

We all know what our goals are and while some may vary a bit, we are all
trying to do similar direct marketing of our products or product mix. In the
past, you were very critical of farms like ours who do not fit the mold that
you say it must in order to be successful. (Not that I necessarily concur
with that).

> Hope this answer was not too "political" for you. There
> are no good generic answers on the topic of web sites.

But, on the other hand there is no shortfall of generic criticisms of said
web site. It would seem that those who can criticize and who really have
actual knowledge of marketing, would be able to point out some basic things.
Assuming they really do have the knowledge.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce