market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Market farming vs getting out/finding customers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Market farming vs getting out/finding customers
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 16:20:31 -0600

Beth wrote:
> I believe you
> have stated that at the moment you have more product than customers and
> would like to correct this?

A small farm operation like ours is ALWAYS going to have imbalances in the
product mix. That is my point. We have difficulty selling steaks compared to
selling roasts and especially compared to selling ground beef which is the
most popular by far. Our customers tend to be health oriented. A few want
steaks because they are tender and they like the taste and are not thinking
as much about the health issues. We have to be very careful at this time
about making any health claims as you are surely aware.

> I believe you stated you only want to sell locally and to you
> that is within
> 20 miles. The whole local only thing is a bit of a gray area. Is it with
> in your own state, hay thats better than across the country or heck South
> America. Is it regional, I live in New England so we tend to think of the
> whole group as local well at least better than across the country or heck
> South America. But then eek maybe the product tagged California is better
> than heck South America at least is in the good ole USA.

I think that I followed this but let me know if I am not interpreting it
correctly. I will state it again. We have no problem selling to anyone who
wants to buy the product. It would be crazy not to. With few exceptions,
most of the small mom and pop meat processors are State certified so we can
never sell out of state. We could theoretically ship within the state, but
have no desire to do this. There are very few micro farms like ours that are
going to get into shipping meat. We have been asked via the internet a few
times, but primarily from out of state in U.P. Michigan and of course the
highest population density from the Greater Chicago area.

The discount that we offered (and only to customers who have purchased from
us before) was only a discount on the steaks. And it includes delivery
within 40 miles from the farm with an order of $50 or more. That is also a
new value added service that we would prefer not to do but are trying it to
see if it will help increase sales.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm