market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Hoop House heating

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Hoop House heating
  • Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 15:12:07 -0500

If you are going to grow winter greens for market you must use heat, yes heat
costs money but how much do you make with an unheated house with plants
sitting in frigid soil?.
Check out the BioTherm web site, many greens and lettuce growers in my county
are starting field transplants in bottom heated hoop houses.
I have a 20x48 ft propagation house with a bench top system with tubing
spaced two inches appart, this is the most elaborate and expensive system and
alot bigger than you will need but I can say the system is the most cost
efficient and provides the best heat for plants.
My root systems need a constant 70 degrees and on the coldest nights with
cloudy days I burn 15 gallons of heating oil. On a sunny cold day its closer
to 9 gallons a day. You will need alot less with winter greens since you are
heating soil to only 50 degrees at night. Overhead air temp doesn't matter
much and may feel cold but the air temp just above the foliage is your only
concern. BTW. Passive heat from water jugs are not very helpful when you have
a frigid week with cloudy days and no sun to reheat the water.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

http://webmail.netscape.com/