market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hoop House heating

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <wiediger AT msn.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hoop House heating
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 15:44:22 -0600

Of course, again, this is a large country, and has a lot of varying
conditions. We grow greens (lettuce, spinach, mesclun, etc) all winter in
double plastic high tunnels (20X96 and 20X60) without any additional heat,
and our soil temperatures rarely drop below 50 degrees and never below 45.
MUST is a big word that doesn't apply to all of the country - we are in zone
6b and it doesn't apply here.

> If you are going to grow winter greens for market you must use heat, yes
heat costs money but how much do you make with an unheated house with plants
sitting in frigid soil?.