market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Re: [Market farming] discussion threads off topic?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Re: [Market farming] discussion threads off topic?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 21:31:37 -0600

Paul Bucciaglia wrote:
> [...]
products sold directly to a local mark, would be appropriate to this list.
What seemed off topic were the left-wing/right wing debates, and liberal vs.
conservative debates. I also think that both conventional and organic view
points should be welcome here.

=====
It is a bit difficult to separate these issues. They are intertwined and set
the tone for almost everything since conventional/organic is a food politics
thing.

just because other lists are.

=====
It seems to always be the case that you have prolific posters. But 95% do
not typically post. I am on many divergent lists and some are on web based
access or I could not do that many. I can then drop in to Yahoogroups and
click on one list and check the latest posts or if needed, go back a page.
If no topics interest me, I can go on from there. In every case I have seen,
you have that core group. They are not dominating the list in a negative
way, it is just that they are willing to post when most will not. Human
nature. I rarely post at all on those lists since I use them as an
information source in areas like fine art photography printing (My Epson
2200 came but have not set it up yet), radio communications loggers, of
course several graze forums, etc. I can check a particular list (TenTec
radios for those who know what that is) and after years and years, it is the
same core group of posters. It is interesting that some of the lists are
many hundreds of members.

markets for meat or produce, no? I farmed with a friend north of St. Paul
for a few years, and it was a great market for organic produce. Also some
interest in grass fed lambs and kids, generally live or slaughtered on the
farm.

=======

We are 150 to Twin Cities and 300 to Chicago. We of course could not sell
our state inspected meat across state lines. I am confident that either area
would be excellent markets. We have had a few people call or in rare cases
stop by from Chicago, but I would not feel very good about it unless it was
a large buying trip for them or better yet, an added activity for business
or pleasure.

For the record, we don't turn people away. Even though some folks like Jay
Gee (not a farmer), do not understand what we are trying to do here, it is
primarily for supporting our beliefs in quality food and especially local
food. And even if you don't make much money, and I sure don't know anyone
getting rich on direct marketing food, it is very worthwhile to us.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce