market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: [Market farming] discussion threads off topic?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Paul Bucciaglia <pbucciaglia AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: [Market farming] discussion threads off topic?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 07:40:15 -0800 (PST)

Hi Rick,

I think that discussions of animal and plant agricultural, with products sold directly to a local mark, would be appropriate to this list.  What seemed off topic were the left-wing/right wing debates, and liberal vs. conservative debates.  I also think that both conventional and organic view points should be welcome here.  At least in this area I have moved to, it seems most 'market farmers' grow conventionally.  I remember a GFM article written by a long time farmer who said something to the effect of "95 percent of what organic farmers do is what conventional farmers do, and is what farmers have done for centuries.  The noun is more important than the adjective".  I also see no reason why this list has to be dominated by a few people just because other lists are.

Also it seems like you are close enough to Twin Cities or Chicago markets for meat or produce, no?   I farmed with a friend north of St. Paul for a few years, and it was a great market for organic produce.  Also some interest in grass fed lambs and kids, generally live or slaughtered on the farm.  I think you are right that rural areas are much harder to sell in, but you are still close enough to major population centers where people would be very interested in what you are have.  There was also a guy in northern MN (about 4 hours from Twin Cities, proably similar distance as you) who had put together a loose co-op of small farmers.  This broadened the selection (they had meat, eggs, cheese, 'durable' produce like spuds and carrots, honey, preserves, etc) and sent out a list via web and email.  Also the Twin cities has one of the best developed co-op grocery networks in the country, and they are very supportive of local ag.

Jeez, I'm trying to remember why I moved back East?  Oh yeah, Mom's lasagna.

Paul Bucciaglia

Fort Hill Farm, New Milford, CT

Message: 10