market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] re grass fed steaks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] re grass fed steaks
  • Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 12:32:44 -0800 (PST)

Caryl Elzinga wrote in part:

I think our biggest problem on the ground and roasts is that most of the
people who buy at the farmer's market (summer only) and at the co-op (all
year, about one beef every 2-3 weeks) seem to primarily be dual income no
kids types. One woman told my husband as she bought a tenderloin that she
had never made a roast in her life. We've had a few of these people buy our
packs which include a roast and a few packs of ground (I include recipes),
but mostly they just want steaks.
<<<<

To improve your sales of roasts and ground beef, create
some printed materials to be displayed at your table.

These should be single sheet flyers containing valuable
information of use to consumers. Possible titles might be
"Roast Beef News" and "Ground Beef News."

Set them up in a three columnar form (for easy and quick
reading while standing around) and printed on both sides.
Give them a slightly humorous tone, including beef jokes
that are not disparaging to the product.

Communicate the good news about your particular "brand"
of beef on the first page and tell the story of how easy it
is to prepare healthy, tasty, ground beef or roast based
meals. On the back, include recipes for main courses and
appropriate side dishes for the meals.

Maintain the 3 column form on the back and include differing
recipe sections for Single People; Families and Meals for Two.

Create a new edition each month during market season and
give people the opportunity to sign up for the email version.

Need I say more?

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming