market-farming - [Market-farming] re grass fed steaks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Caryl Elzinga" <alderspring AT salmoninternet.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] re grass fed steaks
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:55:23 -0700

We sell our ground (90-95% lean) and roasts for $4.20/lb. The local
grocery store (not the discount warehouse type) sells theirs for $3.50-3.95.
Do I understand you sell yours for $8.00/lb?? We get some price resistence
on the ground and roasts, but mostly people just seem to want steaks (at any
price...). We've moved a bit more roasts and ground this winter- people
tend to grill less, I guess. We've also turned some of the ground into
several sausage types that we sell for $7.50 (the co-op carries them as well
for $10.50). While those prices may sound great, the costs of getting it
from here to there are high (packing, transportation, marketing materials,
our time--the market is nearly 6 hours away).

I think our biggest problem on the ground and roasts is that most of the
people who buy at the farmer's market (summer only) and at the co-op (all
year, about one beef every 2-3 weeks) seem to primarily be dual income no
kids types. One woman told my husband as she bought a tenderloin that she
had never made a roast in her life. We've had a few of these people buy our
packs which include a roast and a few packs of ground (I include recipes),
but mostly they just want steaks.

I wonder if anyone out there has tried supplementary advertising to reach
families, who would be our primary purchasers of ground and roasts, and what
they have found effective.

Caryl,

What is your ground beef price? We have sold more consistently when we
raised our prices. There may be a perception that price=quality. Even with
our current prices, which we were able to reduce a bit this year with
lowered input costs and fine tuning the cuts, we are still under the clown
at almost $8 a pound for hamburger of questionable origin.