market-farming - [Market-farming] Seed starting mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Seed starting mix
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:30:35 -0600

I was at the Gulf Coast Horticultural Expo last weekend and asked the
Fafard representatives if they were manufacturing any organic planting
mix. The first guy I talked to said "no" but his colleague quickly
jumped in and said they were doing some serious testing in this area
because of increasing demand. Appartently the organic approved
wetting agents (yucca extracts, perhaps?) have been shown to have a
connection with excessive fungal or other pathogen activity, so that
has been a hang-up. The good news is that they're working on it but
it is not in mass distribution. For now, if you can come up with the
right minimum quantity they will ship you an organic mix without
wetting agents which is premoistened at the factory. However if it
dries out you are guaranteed to have a problem getting it re-wetted.
> what are people using to start their seedlings in this year? Any of
> you out there making your own (I mean, if you are using a lot of the
> stuff)?

I've been using ProMix but am about to try Fafrd Super Fine
Germination Mix.

Adriana