market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Agroterrorism

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Agroterrorism
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:48:03 -0500

"Tip sheets produced by the Virginia Cooperative Extension suggest that
farmers have only one entry/exit point per farm and consider using
security lights and controlled gate access. Extension also recommends
the use of electronic security devices such as motion detectors, door
alarms, video cameras and alarms linked to an off-site security system."

They must be talking to the large horse estates up around us. On one side of us we have the suburbs and 10 acre McEstates and on the other side are the huge horse estates. Our immediate neighbors on the horse country side are two sisters each worth about a billion dollars, and just here (they also own a 17,000 acre Hawaiian Island and other estates around the world) they own something in the neighborhood of 25 square miles. They have a private army, I mean police force that last I knew numbered something like 2 dozen soldiers (I mean security guards). Their entrances are manned 24 hours a day with gates controlled from bunkers. I would not doubt that they have an electronic security system for large parts of their land.

Last fall, a nice day about noon, a Huey type helicopter sat over our farm for 10-15 minutes coming down as low as 40 feet, moving from one field to another, sitting over our greenhouse, circling our house and out buildings and at one time just missing clipping the electric wires. As the id numbers were spray painted over we could never find out who they were. We were going to report them to the FAA because they violated a number of rules. There was four of us out in the fields at the time watching and we could never figure out what they were doing. We assumed it was the DEA checking us out, (we obviously got a clean bill of health), but maybe it was some other government agency with too much money.