market-farming - [Market-farming] RE: economies of scale

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Hendrickson <jhendric AT facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] RE: economies of scale
  • Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 10:23:14 -0600

Greeting to the list,

I've been very intrigued by the discussion lately about the economics of market farming. I do not have anything concrete to report just yet but wanted the group to know about a research project I am in the middle of that has this precise focus. I am collecting economic data from 24 market farms of various sizes (and marketing strategies) over a span of 2 years.. The farms have just sent their data for year one. The data falls into 3 basic categories: dollars (gross and net income, payroll expense, etc.), hours (hours worked for everyone on the farm), and acres. We will be collecting the same information in year 2. Following that, I (and others) will be sharing the results in written form as well as through presentations at various conferences, workshops, etc.

Stay tuned...I will make every effort to announce and share the results of this project (including through this list-serve).

I applaud everyone on the list for devoting time to discussing the financial side of market farming. There is lots of information out there about how to grow vegetables, berries, and fruits sustainably but little information about how to make market farming a sustainable livelihood.

-John

John Hendrickson
Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1450 Linden Drive; Madison, WI 53706
608-265-3704
www.wisc.edu/cias