market-farming - [Market-farming] chicken processing for sale in MD

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Grow19 AT aol.com
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Subject: [Market-farming] chicken processing for sale in MD
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 17:17:30 EST

Hi Friends,

Hope you have contact info or other thoughts on this.  I buy meat (and of
course veggies, flowers, cheese, etc) from a Farmers' Market in Takoma Park,
MD.  I've befriended a vendor from Berryville, Virginia who is able to sell
chicken at their farm in Virginia or at farmers' markets in Virginia because
they have a state inspected processor about 1 hr from the farm.

Problem is that they've been unable to find a USDA inspected processor that
would enable them to bring the chicken to the Takoma Park market.  So we are
unable to buy chicken from them.

My questions are -- can anyone tell me how much this USDA inspection would
cost their Virginia processor so that chickens processed there could be sold
in Maryland?  Any other good ideas?  Any idea if there are USDA people I
could/should contact to help this farm be able to sell chicken in MD?

Thanks, an admirer of this list who works on community & youth gardens in DC,
Judy Tiger