market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] cherry tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Hendrickson <jhendric AT facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] cherry tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:28:01 -0600

Alison,

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like a good method but I am amazed that you don't experience more splitting than you do. I'll have to try the tepid water.Do you pick them slightly under-ripe? This would also help them from getting squished in 2.5 gallon buckets as you pick. To get the layers in the buckets as you pick, do you plant them such that you have multiple varieties in each row? I planted 3 varieties in each 100 foot row. How many varieties do you mix? I was mixing 8 different varieties. They were:

Sungold (orange)
Green grape (large green)
Matt's wild cherry (small red heirloom)
Chello (large yellow heirloom)
Isis Candy Cherry (Larger, marbled heirloom)
Valley Girl (large pinkish red)
Sugar cherry (red)
White Rabbit (very pale yellow heirloom)

I was not satisfied with Isis, Chello, or green grape and would love to find better pink and yellow varieties. Also, does anyone know of a purple-fruited variety? An older Totally Tomatoes catalog listed a pre-mixed cherry tomato seed packet that included a purple variety, but I need to order things in separate packets.

John Hendrickson
Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1450 Linden Drive; Madison, WI 53706
608-265-3704
www.wisc.edu/cias