market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] SYSCO

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] SYSCO
  • Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 18:35:34 -0500

I agree with robert that sysco is not the best food purveyor on the planet.
When I was
a kitchen manager and food buyer I would use Sysco as a last resort. I never
got on
with their sales reps well and found food quality and service was much better
from the
two local companies I used. Not to mention the local companies had food shows
and
Sysco did not (Food shows= lots of free stuff and great eats).

As a grower I do not do wholesale as I make more selling direct to the public
through
Farmer's markets and more and more through our CSA. But if you are going that
route do
check out the local food purveyors, Every metro area over 1 million pop
should have 2
or 3 local companies. Ask the chefs you deal with who they use and get the
contact
info from them.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder belt organics
Looking for local food? Check out
http://www.localharvest.org

“We have, I fear, confused power with greatness”
Stewart I. Udall