market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Interesting reading on a cold and snowy day

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Interesting reading on a cold and snowy day
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 08:22:31 -0600

Regards to the list:

It just irritates the hell out of me that we as residents of a "free"
country cannot use words in our language to describe what we offer to
sell just because some s.o.b. paid his two bucks to use OUR words
exclusively. Some day all we will be allowed do is point at our stuff
because all the words have been taken.

Marie in Missouri

<snip>
To answer your plaintiff cry about whether you must join or
pay for the use of generic terms, the answer is no, at least
not until someone trademarks them. You could say "Grown
Naturally" instead of "Naturally Grown" but that might get
you into a lawsuit over trademark infringement. Better to
come up with a unique term of your own and trademark it,
or join a marketing co-op and pay for the use of a protected
name.

HTH

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming