market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Interesting reading on a cold and snowy day

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Interesting reading on a cold and snowy day
  • Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 12:34:48 -0800 (PST)

Rainbow's End Farms & Orchards wrote in part:

>Yesterday I received a copy of this month's Fruit Grower News
>with a front page article proclaiming "Naturally Grown new option
>to organic program". The article describes yet another
>certification program and their website
>http://www.naturallygrown.org/ carries numerous trademark and
>copyright references. There is a sliding scale of up to $100.00

To do a trademark search of the phrase "Naturally Grown," go
to the U.S. Patents and Trademarks Office web site and do
trademark search.

http://www.uspto.gov

A little friendly marketing advice to all of you who are interested
in protecting your hard work and marketing investments.

If you develop a unique phrase in describing your products,
go to the trouble and expense of trademarking it. Getting a
trademark is not so complicated that you can't do it yourself.
The cost of getting a trademark is cheap compared to a
patent. For a few bucks you can protect your mark against
being taken and diluted or abused by another, even the USDA.

Information on getting your own trademark is also available
at the URL listed above.

To answer your plaintiff cry about whether you must join or
pay for the use of generic terms, the answer is no, at least
not until someone trademarks them. You could say "Grown
Naturally" instead of "Naturally Grown" but that might get
you into a lawsuit over trademark infringement. Better to
come up with a unique term of your own and trademark it,
or join a marketing co-op and pay for the use of a protected
name.

HTH

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming