market-farming - [Market-farming] RE: Hybrid versus open pollinated

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rainbow's End Farms & Orchards" <rainbowsend AT swva.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] RE: Hybrid versus open pollinated
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 12:58:32 -0500

I am preparing to order seeds for this year's plantings. A
previous note mentioned Seed Savers Exchange and the use of open
pollinated seeds. However, having once tried several of the old
heritage tomato varieties only to have them wither with blights
or viruses when the summer heat came I am mindful of my need to
produce reliably as well as in terms of quality. For example,
while some of the old heritage apples sound interesting there are
some that may be produced reliably and many others that are no
longer produced for good reasons. I would think that as I
experienced with some of the tomatoes the mere fact that seed is
open pollinated does not equate to better or even as reliably. Is
it better to go with the proven hybrids with their increased
production, reliability and predictability or to risk less
production and more susceptibility to disease and growing
conditions with the open pollinated varieties....or, hopefully,
are there open pollinated varieties that are proven to be
reliable in all categories? With the cost of seed being what it
is and the need to be assured of production for my shareholders
it would seem that the ability to save seed from year to year
might end up costing dearly?

Clarence W. and Lisa J. Walker
Rainbow's End Farms and Orchards
880 Central Academy Road