market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Squash spacing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Johnston" <rjohnston AT johnnyseeds.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Squash spacing
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:38:16 -0500

> One other question, any opinions on the minimum spacing of different
> cucurbits?
>
> In the past, we had a disaster with our Acorn squash because
> it was planted
> next to the birdhouse gourds. The horticulturist at Jungs,
> where we have
> usually gotten our seeds and plants, recommended a minimum of 50 foot
> separation.

Cucurbit fruit quality and appearance is a maternal trait. The
source of
the pollen will effect the progeny of your crop, were you to save and
replant the seeds, but it will not effect the appearance or quality of your
squash fruits. Think of it this way: if your female Collie mates with the
neighbor's Poodle, it doesn't change the way your Collie looks, but it does
effect the appearance of her puppies.

Rob Johnston
Johnny's Selected Seeds