market-farming - [Market-farming] Squash spacing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Squash spacing
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:55:53 -0600

Thanks a great deal for the suggestions on the squash. I think we will try
planting the seeds and see what happens next spring/summer.

One other question, any opinions on the minimum spacing of different
cucurbits?

In the past, we had a disaster with our Acorn squash because it was planted
next to the birdhouse gourds. The horticulturist at Jungs, where we have
usually gotten our seeds and plants, recommended a minimum of 50 foot
separation.

This year we planted the Butternut next to the Acorns. The Butternut did
very well and seemed normal, if not downright excellent. The Acorns seemed
to have many odd shaped squash, just not as rounded as normal. They seemed
to taste OK.

As it turned out, 90% of our Acorn squash was not saleable due to severe
rodent damage where they chew multiple notches and make them esthetically
displeasing.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm