market-farming - [Market-farming] Answers to questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Answers to questions
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:21:56 -0500

The Walkers wrote:
I'm beginning to think that in lieu of a book with all the
answers I could use a good OUIJA board or 8-Ball to answer all of
my questions like:

You don't need a Ouija board -- you have all of us on the list! ;-D

Who is the most reliable and cost effective seed supplier?

Yourself "Seed to Seed" is worth its weight in gold.

Who has the best and most reasonably price transplants for a wide
range of vegetables?

In my experience, that's a local question. Around here, that would be Miller's Greenhouse in Parkersford, PA (there are about 3 different Miller's Greenhouse, each by a different Miller around here and even though the Parkersford guy isn't organic, his plants are the best I've seen anywhere.

Is it more cost-effective to grow my own transplants?

I'm in Seed Savers -- we're nuts about our own plants. Better ask someone else this one.

Can I really grow onions as good as Vidalias

Depends on the sulfur or lack thereof in your soil. Basically, you have a choice: if you have sulfur, you can grow fantastic garlic. If you don't have sulfur, then you can grow onions that rival Vidalias (although you have to call them Super-Sweets or some such name as the Vidalia one can only be used in their own geographic area which I can't remember which it is (GA?), but it ain't VA! ;-)

or garlics that
compete with those from California?

ANY one of us (except for the folks in Vidalia-land) can grow BETTER garlic than that wimpy stuff in Gilroy. Don't doubt yourself -- garlic is not that hard if you have the right seed stock and I've sold plenty in MD which is not that far from you. There are also some VA CSAs that grow out garlic -- you just need to buy seed stock from them next August. (Now I am really inspired to get my garlic report for 2002 written and e-mailed off to USDA -- that you could doubt your garlic-growing abilities means that I am just so needed! ;-))

Are there vegetables that are simply not worth the bother?

Those that don't sell in your area. Why folks bother with hot peppers in Southeastern PA is beyond me. They look wonderful and they grow well, but except for pickles, you'll never find a hot pepper in a PA Dutch cookbook.

Are there some home grown varieties that should be in every
growers gardens?

Those that sell immediately. Personally, I think everyone should grow garlic. Otherwise, if you're in PA and have the space, time and water, you should sell sweet corn. Everyone does it, but there's never really a glut. Otherwise, it depends on if you're a CSA trying to fill out the "basics" for folks each week in season or direct selling whatever people will come to buy. . .

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of