market-farming - Re: CSA risks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jeffery uhlig <juhlig AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: CSA risks
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:59:17 -0600

Continuing the thought. A CSA investment is an investment in the
farmer
as well as the produce raised on the farm. The average age of farmers
these days is over 50 so health can come into play and farming is near
the top of dangerous jobs in America so injury is also a possibility. So
the investment is in part for someone to assume the responsibility and
risk to raise food for your family. I would remind those non-farmers
that our job is not a 9 to 5, 5 days a week but a commitment to the
land, our animals and our customers. I can tell you from experience that
farmers are not getting rich running a CSA. Some of my customers are
surprised to find out I am working on the farm every day of the year.
There is no such thing a a holiday with animals to care for. However
they support not only the idea of a local farm but also the local
farmer.
We had our worst season this year with a late season frost May 22
that
wiped out all my newly planted summer veggies and no rain between June 6
and August 4. One week I had nothing ready for delivery. I did not get
one complaint but instead I received words of encouragement and offers
of help. I think I have the best customers, no friends, a person can ask
for, all 122 families.

Regards, Jeff Uhlig Buff Rock Farm

  • CSA risks, gutierrez-lagatta, 11/15/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: CSA risks, Liz Pike, 11/15/2002
    • Re: CSA risks, jeffery uhlig, 11/15/2002
    • Re: CSA risks, Lucy Goodman, 11/16/2002