market-farming - Dried corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Martin Koenig <koehoe AT earthlink.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Dried corn
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:14:05 -0800

Fellow growers:
I grew dried corn for the first this year in order to grind it and give
it to our winter CSA customers for polenta, johnny cakes, etc. Problem
is, I'm finding it very difficult to get the corn off the cob. Any
machines out there that do the job? I'm a very small scale farm so I'm
not talking about a machine for a large operation. I have about 3
bushels of corn. Any hints for the best way to do this by hand. I just
tried twisting the ears in my hands and this worked for a couple of ears
but most of it was very hard to remove.

Thanks!!

Margaret Hoeffel
Blue Moon Farm