market-farming - AgrAbility Project

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jane Cigard <jcigard AT everestkc.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: AgrAbility Project
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:05:21 -0600

>From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
>Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 06:45:31 -0800

> Hello Marie and all who are fighting their bodies to live their farming
dreams,

> There is a national project of the USDA called The AgrAbility
Project. <

Greetings to all! Although I usually just lurk on this list, this is the
first time I've felt compelled to post a message -- one of thanks to Marcie
Rosenzweig for the information on the USDA AgrAbility Project. My family and
I are making plans to relocate from a Kansas City suburb to a rural property
in southern Douglas County Kansas. For some time, I have been gathering
information and doing research on the feasibility of a small market farm.
But, I have a hip disability and some problems with arthritis, so I have
questioned my physical ability to actually do this. I didn't know about the
AgrAbility Project, so I was thrilled when I checked their website and got
information on the types of help and programs they offer. It gives me
renewed hope that my farming goals may really be possible!

Thanks to everyone on this list for all the ideas and information that you
have shared in recent months. It has been very helpful to me, along with
other resources like Growing for Market, the ATTRA website and many other
things that I have learned about on this list!

One question: Is it possible for someone like me, a life-long city/suburban
gal, with no farming background, to start farming in mid-life? I've been
gardening since I was a teenager, and I have 12 years experience as an
Extension Master Gardener, so I know a little about growing things.
Professionally, I am a journalist, so the importance of good public
relations and customer communication is also something I understand. But,
when I share my plans and ideas with friends and family, I usually get
incredulous looks of surprise followed by hysterical bouts of laughter!

Jane Cigard
Lenexa, Kansas

  • AgrAbility Project, Jane Cigard, 11/14/2002